Sunday, February 10, 2008

GO HERBIE!!

Herbie Hancock
I wish I had been in front of a TV to witness the moment Herbie Hancock won the Album of the Year Grammy for River: The Joni Letters. The album truly deserved the honor -- it's a brilliant record, with beautiful, unique interpretations of Joni Mitchell's songs and just a project overflowing with creativity, passion and genuine love for the material. And Wayne Shorter! What more can you say? It was my personal favorite of '07 (just behind McCartney's Memory Almost Full), and I think this is the first time ever that an album I rooted for in this category actually received the award. The man has been at it for close to 50 years, and it's about time -- not just for Herbie, but for jazz as a genre. The academy just earned a whole lot more of my respect.

No comments: